St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, located on South St. in Morristown, NJ, is a welcoming, vibrant, and historic church within the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. Our two programs that serve local families began in 2012 (VBS) and 2014 (Afterschool on South).
St. Peter’s is seeking a full-time Director for an outstanding, well-established state-licensed set of programs. Afterschool on South serves children in PreK-7 that attend the Morris School District. The center is licensed for 81 children and has 7 classrooms and a large grass play area outside. Children are bused to the center by the Morris School District and picked up by 6:00 pm. The VBS (Vacation Bible School) runs for six weeks in the summer with counselors and volunteers. The Director is a member of the St. Peter’s staff and is supervised by the Rector of the parish,
- 3-5 years Experience working with elementary and/or middle school children.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s in education or an education related field.
- Min. 1 year of experience managing and supervising personnel.
- Must pass a CHRI (Criminal History Background Check), finger printing and a CARI check (Child Abuse Record Information).
- Strong leadership and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- The Director must obtain current CPR, AED and First Aid certification prior to hire.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record and personal auto insurance.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
Responsibilities for this position:
- Hiring and supervision of staff for both programs.
- Meet and maintain all standards and requirements in the State of NJ Manual of Requirements for Child Care Centers.
- Prepare and monitor the budget
- Establish program fees, record, and process payments
- Work with the state to process paperwork related to families receiving state funding
- Manage staff payroll
- Maintain good communication with parish Finance Manager
- Submit grant applications as needed to fund programs
- Responsible for curriculum planning for supplemental activities.
- Order necessary supplies and materials for all programs.
- Work with teachers to plan and provide age-appropriate activities for children.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for students and staff.
- Attend required training programs, meet professional development hours required for this position, train staff – new hires, safe church training and annual trainings as required.
- Maintain all required records for students and staff.
- Advertise and recruit students for the program.
- Maintain relationships with parents and families to support students.
- Recruit, train and supervise staff.
- Maintain an appropriate social media presence regarding activities and special events of the programs. (Obtain parental permission before posting any students in the program on Social media or for use in advertising materials.)
- Maintain parent and staff handbook(s).
- When possible, with parent permission, communicate with teachers and advocate for students.
- Maintain relationship with Morristown School District Transportation department to arrange bus stop transportation for students.
- Provide a monthly report to the Rector.
- Assist parents with enrolling in the Child Care Subsidy Program, communications and attendance, etc., so that reimbursement is sent to the program in a timely manner.
Afterschool on South Program specifics:
The program follows the MSD calendar and opens early on half days and early dismissal days to accommodate parents. When the MSD closes due to bad weather, The AOS will receive students from the buses and close at 2:00 pm.
Work Schedule: M-F 7:30 am – 6 pm, (alternating times with other staff for early morning drop off and afterschool pick up). Note: morning care may or may not be available depending on enrollment numbers.
VBS (Vacation Bible School) specifics
- Program runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. M-F for 6 weeks during the summer.
- Work hours begin before the program.
- Aftercare is available for parents after the program day until 5 p.m.
- This a six-week Bible and educational enrichment program for students entering grades. K-7, with an option of before and after care.
- Create a mentorship/counselor in-training program for children ages 14 to 17.
- Daily program requirements: Chapel, Bible Study, music, arts and crafts, sports, swimming, computers/technology, or other activities of interest.
- Provide staff health and safety training prior to camp.
- Responsible for curriculum planning, creating a camp schedule and organizing field trips.
- Advertise programs in appropriate locations.
Salary range and benefits: This is a Full-time exempt position
- Salary: $47k
- Benefits: Health Insurance, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, Pension, Vacation time plus annual paid holidays